Roskilde tragedy...

articolo da un giornale norvegese

« Older   Newer »

1. ed79

User deleted

un ragazzo di sinergy ha postato qsto articolo riguardo la tragica giornata di rocksilde..
    l'articolo è preso da un giornale norvegese e il ragazzo di sinergy l'ha tradotto dal norvegese all'inglese pur nn essendo l'inglese la sua lingua madre...
    ci potrebbero essere quindi alcuni errori...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=127371

It's summer 200 and the new millenium's first Roskilde-festival. It's also the 30th time young people from all over the world gathers in the small town on the island Sjælland, 36 kilometres south-west of Copenhagen, Denmark. Here's 74 000 people. 170 bands on 8 scenes. Camping-life and beers. Make-outs and music. It's party again.

The weather in Roskilde haven't quite decided Friday night. It's raining. It's not raining. The temperature shows 11 degrees (celsius). But Thea Hartmann (17) is excited. She stands in front of the Orange Scene. She's a great Pearl Jam fan and have, together with a friend, waited patiently in an hour already. Behind her there's 50 000 people. Around 22.30 Eddie Vedder sings the first words to "Corduroy" to a jubilant crowd. Thea climbs up on the fence in front of her. She learned the tecnique on the Roskilde-festival last year, now she's holding on on two different and random heads. The little girl suddenly has suddenly great view over the giant scene-area.

The audience is jumping, they sing, they raise their hands in the air. Many wants to get forwards towards the scene. The Travis-concert is just finished, and soon there's a break at the techno-scene. More and more people are coming. Pearl Jam has only played a couple of songs, but in the middle of the front-part of the audience, where the crowding is largest stands a girl from Askøy and cries. Ranveig Nesse (18) has got a bar in her back an she can barely breathe. She tells her boyfriend, Espen, that she wants to leave. They can't get anywhere.
    Just after 23.00 the massive crowd is starting to swing from side to side. People from behind are pushing to get forward and heavy wave-movements spring up. People are standing so close that most of them can't move their legs. It's raining again, it's slippery in the mudd. There's a tug from the side. There's a tug from behind. And suddenly a large group of people falls on the ground like pieces in a domino game.

There's some crowd-surfers and a lot of people tries this method to get out of the crowd. But there are no people to catch them. Several of them ends brutally on the top of each other in the mudd. Legs get crossed with others. They are being stepped on. When they realize it's hard to get up, panic breaks out. A lot of them lose their breath.

Rannveig loses her shoe. She bends down to catch it. Her boyfriend, espen, stops her. "If you get that, you'll die", he says. Rannveig looks down. She gets the shock of her life. There's a boy lying there, on the ground. He's lifeless. He's stopped shouting. The couple from Askøy discovers that they are standing on him. They try to step away, but they can't move. They shout at the guards, but get no responds. They are too far away. Rannveig and Espen tries to scream that people have to pull back. That there's a person in there. Most people don't react, they laugh, they don't understand the seriousness. "Look, someone's fallen!", Rannveig shouts again. They stand at the boy during more Pearl Jam songs. Rannveig cries and cries.

In front of the scene Thea sees that it's too crowded. She drops the plans abuot crowd-surfing. She's standing on the fence. She can see that people are in need of help. She sees that the guards has a possibility of taking care of them. Her friend has left. She couldn't handle it anymore. Then Thea sees lifeless bodies. They must have fainted, she thinks. But she can see the desparation in the eyes of Eddie Vedder. She sees the chaos a little further away, where Rannveig stands. She has got a kick in her head. She still screams for help, but everyone's busy trying to keep on their feets. Her boyfriend keeps some of the pressure away, but Rannveig's scared, very scared. She can't see a way out anymore. Suddenly there's a large, tall man with a back-pack "hold on here to my back-pack", he says. Then he breaks a way out of the crowd.
    Rannveig never gets to meet the man that saves her life. When she's about to thank him, he's gone.

The extreme pressure have lasted for almost 45 minutes now.
    Pearl Jam's finished "Daughter". Then the music stops. Eddie Vedder grips the michrophone with a serious look. "Whats happening the next five minutes has nothing to do with music. but it's important. You are going du imagine that I'm your friend, and you're going to go back for not to hurt me. You all have friends in front here. I'm counting to three and then all of you are going to take on step back".
    It's not helping. Some thinks it's a part of the show.
    "Well, fuck you guys", Vedder says. he asked everyone to have a look at their feets to see if anyone's lying there. He once again asks the crowd to step back. Tears are streaming now. He sits down. One of the worlds greatest rock-stars tears his hair in despair.

Great parts of the audience on the large concert-plain haven't noticed the drama. They are waiting impatiently for more Pearl Jam. Then they give up and waits for The Cure instead. But there's not going to be more music after 23.25. There's not going to be any more fun in year 2000 at Roskilde.
    After seven minutes the crowd finally steps back far enough. Far enough so one can get up the people that are lying on the ground. It's too late, far too late. 23.32 the police in Roskilde receives a message of 5 heart-stops by the Orange Scene.

Thea doesn't understand what's happened. She's gone to find her friends. One of her friends comes with her arms filled with beers. "There are handing it out for free" she says delighted.
    She doesn't understand that people are tempted with free beer to draw them out of the spot, away from the crowd. Then, when the clock is close to 01.00, a black-dressed man comes out on the stage instead. Festival-manager Leif Skov.
    "Be quiet and listen. We have to look after each other here at Roskilde. There's a lot of people that have been hurt here tonight.", he says. "And somel are dead".

-It was horrible, says Thea Hartmann, now 22. She's sitting at Café Mono in Oslo. She's thinking five years back on the worst experience in her life.
    - I don't know what I did, I just froze completly. I got a total shock. It's so close. On Roskilde everyone's friends. You don't die at a festival. I've experienced a lot of things. I've seen a bombe. But I have never been so scared as I was then.
    After Leif Skov has informed about the tragedy, everyone starts to search desperatly after their friends, their boyfriends/girlfriends, their families. There's around 10 000 norwegians at the festival. Thea knows a lot of people who's there. Besides her big sister knows that she was in front during the concert. Her sister is searching for her, but can't find her in the chaos. She goes to her camp, looks for her at the ward. She fears the worst. Several hours later they finally meet again. They cry, both of them.

Rannveig and Espen has gone back to the camp. They hear about the deaths on the radio. They are in shock. Those who died stood in the same area as them.
    - I was thinking abuot the boy on the ground, Rannveig tells.
    - I saw him just for a little while. I don't know what happened to him. But I have my suspicions.
    18 people are being taken to hospital in Roskilde night to Saturday. Eight dies.
    Carl Henrik and Karl Johan from Sweden. Allan, Jakob and Lennart Tobias from Denmark. Marco from Germany. Franciscus from Holland. A few days later, Anthony from Australia dies in the hospital.
    The couple from Askøy packs their stuff and leaves Roskilde already Saturday morning. They can't stay there longer. They think it's disrespectful of Leif Skov to decide to continue the festival.
    Thea and her friends from Oslo stays. They go to the memorial ceremony at the Orange Scene. The festival ground is filled with lights, gifts. Flowers. Crying people in Pearl Jam t-shirts. And relatives who breakdown.
    - It was scary seeing the stage again. There was so much death. But it was nice too. It was a really respectful rememberance seremoni, a bit like when king Olav died. We felt it very intimate. - It could have been us.

Despite the chaos. Despite the fear. Despite the death they saw, both Rannveig and Thea is back at the festival the year after.
    - There was a lot of people asking "Are you really going back there?". But that wasn't it. Ofcourse I was going back. But I don't dare to stand in the middle anymore. I don't like it. It's almost like I'm happy when it's seated in Spektrum (The place where Pearl Jam played in 2000), Rannveig also stands always in the back at concerts.
    - I get very easily scared in large crowds. It's unbelievably creepy. The Roskilde accident is the worst thing I've experienced. I think a lot about the ones who died. And it's really sick to think of that I actually could have died myself. But I don't really understand it, I don't. I don't get it yet.

"It was an accident that could happen, a coincidence", festival-manager Leif Skov said a couple of days after the tragedy under the Pearl Jam concert was a fact.
    A lot of people questioned that.
    A lot of people think that the festival-management should have handled things differently. Some even thinks that the Roskilde-management should be charged responsible for that nine people died that Friday night in front of the Orange Scene.

The Roskilde police's report dated 14th of July and 15th of December 2000 ascertains that the accident was a resault of unfortunate cicumstances. Their investigation showed that the accident happened because too many people was pushing towards the stage, somthing that resaulted in that many fell in the mudd and didn't get back up. The nine that lost their lifes died from choking. The police didn't mean that there was any reason to start criminal law investigation, and they wrote in their report that the audience themselves had to take the largest part of the blame for what happened, because of the brutal behaviour during the concert. Police-chief Uffe Kornerup and his men claimed besides that Pearl Jam had to take the moral responsibility, because "Pearl Jam are well known to practically encourage violent behaviour".

This many resented. The band itself soon answered in a harsh press release: "It's not possible to for the police to reject the tragedy as a row of unfortunate happenings and as a accident that can occure" they wrote. Pearl Jam demanded that the government investigated the security readiness, how the scene area was constructed and how the alcohol consumption was regulated.
    Also the relatives reacted. They meant that the foundation the police built their evaluation on was too weak. They also meant that the account gave the wrong impression of the incident and that it was problematic that the Roskilde-police, who was at the festival-ground themselves, investigated themselves.

8. february 2001 Denmarks secretary of justice therefore asked district attorney for Sjælland, Erik Melung to go through and evaluate the case again. This time, not only the course of events, but also the rescue action after was to be described. The statement from the district attorney in Sjælland was put out 11th of June 2002. Also he concluded with that no persons could be charged in the case. However, he directed and strong criticizme against the festival-management on several points: The safety for the front part of the audience was not good enough. Concerts on other scenes was closed on the time when Pearl Jam played so people were streaming to the concert after the concert had started. The guiding-lines for communtication to audience by larger accidents was not followed. And it took a long while from the guards understood the seriousness in the situation until the music stopped, because the festival- management had not worked out guiding-lines for when and how a concert was to be stopped.
    "The festival-management has to take a large part of the responsibility for that it took 20 minutes from the large amount of the audience overturned until the music stopped. It's in this realtion it is worth to note, that the Medio-legal Institute have stated that a human being that is being exposed for such a powerful compression of the chest, as the case was for the nine who died, under the most unfortunate circumstances will depart this life withing 3 to 5 minutes" the district attorney writes.

The epilogue after the Roskilde-tragedy isn't over yet. Leif Skov resigned a long time ago as festival-manager, but the Tonnesen family, parents of one of the danish people that were killed, still wishes to place a judicial responsibility for the tragedy. Therefore they have, twice, threatened to sue the festival. The Roskilde-management have in both cases sent the family cheques, where they with help from their lawyer points out that they take no responsibility for the accident.
    "The festival has said that the payment is without judicial responsibility and have with that drained it for content. And we are not interested in getting assistance when it's compensation we demand.", Finn tonnesen said to the danish newspaper Politiken in the begining of May.
    The family has returned both cheques.

When North-Europe's biggest festival takes place once again, it's few of the festivalguests that think about the accident five years ago. The experts thinks that the festival has improved on many points since 2000.
    - It was a serious accident that took away the innocense from the festival, and when the innocense is gone, one have to define it on new, says Dagbladet's music-expert Sven Ove Bakke.
    - My impression is that it's been unbelievably little nonsense at Roskilde the last years.
    P3's (norwegian radio station) music-boss Håkon Moslet agrees.
    -The good Roskilde-spirit is back, Moslet says, who covered the incident for Dagbladet five years ago. He reacted on that the festival continued and that Oasis and Pet Shop Boys were criticized for cancelling their concerts the day after.
    - There was a dark cloud over the festival the year it happened and the year after. The management refused to take any criticizme and Leif Skov occured as very arrogant, Moslet says.

He thinks it's crystal-clear that it's the organizers responsibility to take care of the security.
    - It's not with that said that it was the Roskildefestival's fault that people were killed, but there was a clear failure amongst those who looked after the concert. They should have seen what was happening, and stopped the concert long before they did. But it's probably got something to do with that one have a very high limit to break off rock- concerts. Everyone's been at concerts where there's been large crowding, I have lost both shoes and glasses. But there's a cynicism in it. The show must go on. It will always work out well. Only here it didn't.

2. ed79

User deleted

sempre a riguardo...
    una bellissima testimonianza...sempre da un ragazzo del forum di sinergy, che incontrò Eddie nel 2003 dopo la data di Toronto, il 28 giugno...

I actually met Eddie Vedder three years to the date of this incident. It was after the Toronto show in 2003. I met him in the parking lot about an hour and a half after the show ended, We chatted in great length. I remember at one point Ed looked down at his watch and said something to the effect of
    "You know......three years ago tonight before we took the stage i recieved the most wonderful news. Chris Cornell called me to tell me his wife had just given birth to their first child, i was so full of joy and happiness when we i stepped out onto that stage."
    "A new life was brought into this world but in an instant.................................( he hung his head looking down at his boots, a long pause)
    Looking up at me the strain in his face was to much to take, the pain in his eyes i will never forget.
    He then continued " In an instant my happiness turned to complete horror, helplesness and death."
    The small group that we stood in grew very quiet, knowbody knew what to say at that point. I cleared my throat and said "You know Ed Love Boat Captain was really beautiful tonight, it was a nice tribute. I'm sure they were with us here tonight, looking down from above."
    Ed quickly grew a smile and agreed with me.
    That moment i will never forget for the rest of my life. I was really taken back how he felt like he could open up a bit and share his feelings which i'm sure he's been tortured with.

3. (careca)

User deleted

non mi ricordo se l'avvo già scritto da qualche parte, comunque
    il mio amico Andrea era al concerto di roskilde quella sera.
    lui è alto un metro e 90 e pesa molto, un omone proprio. era lontanissimo dal palco e comunque ha raccontato che non ha mai vissuto una cosa del genere, che ad un certo punto ha preso paura e ha lasciato lo spazio , era letteralmente compresso e faceva fatica a respirare.
    diceva che la tragedia era nell'aria.probabilmente evitabile, perchè la situazione era completamente fuori dal normale già prima che iniziasse il concerto.

4. speedle

User deleted

ma cosa è successo in poche parole?

Edited by speedle - 27/6/2005, 12:11

5. ed79

User deleted

user posted image

questo qnto riportava pearl-jam.it all'indomani...

1 Luglio 2000 - Tragedia al Roskilde Festival

Ieri sera 8 ragazzi che stavano assistendo al concerto dei Pearl Jam al Festival di Roskilde, vicino Copenhagen (Danimarca) sono morti a causa dell' eccessiva ressa che si è venuta a creare sotto il palco; la pioggia aveva reso il terreno scivoloso e probabilmente questi ragazzi sono scivolati in seguito alle spinte ricevute nella confusione generale e sono stati poi calpestati dalla massa o schiacciati contro le transenne. I feriti sono una ventina; il servizio di sicurezza è stato messo sotto accusa, ma il Festival prosegue oggi e domani, anche se alcune band (tra cui gli Oasis e i Pet Shop Boys) hanno dato forfait per rispetto verso le famiglie delle vittime. I Pearl Jam avevano da un po' cominciato la loro esibizione, il pezzo forte della giornata di ieri, quando, durante Daughter, sono stati avvertiti che la situazione giù dal palco si stava facendo critica; hanno smesso di suonare chiedendo alla folla di farsi più indietro per non schiacciare i ragazzi delle prime file, ma non c'è stato nulla da fare, il peggio era già accaduto. I volti atterriti e le lacrime di Eddie e gli altri, viste grazie alle riprese di un fan presente al concerto, sono immagini che non avremmo mai voluto vedere e sicuramente rimarranno nelle nostre teste per sempre. La band ha oggi rilasciato uno straziante comunicato ufficiale (clicca qui per leggere la traduzione in italiano) e ha annullato le ultime due date del tour europeo. Per ora è tutto, speriamo di sapere al più presto qualcosa sulle intenzioni future della band. Nel frattempo, tutta la nostra commozione va a quegli 8 ragazzi e alle rispettive famiglie.

il giorno dopo è morto un altro ragazzo che era rimasto gravemente ferito...

6. speedle

User deleted

grazie, poverini...

7. ed79

User deleted

luca...
    a tal proposito...
    ho ritrovato qsta pagina che luca leatherman aveva dedicato a qsta tragedia nel 2003...

per nn dimenticare...

http://www.pearljamonline.it/curiosit%E0/roskilde.htm

8. (careca)

User deleted

nick conosci per caso un sito dove ci siano le foto della band durante la tragedia?

9. boo

User deleted

non c'entra nulla ma mi hai fatto venire in mente la giornalista di studio aperto che ieri ha chiesto all'inviato, da un paesino in cui un uomo barricato in casa ha iniziato a sparare sulla folla, se erano riusciti a riprendere i corpi delle vittime per strada.

10. ed79

User deleted

ho visto solo ora qsta foto...
    le transenne sotto all'orange stage del roskilde festival...
    non ho nessuna esperienza in ambito di festival europei...
    ma sono molto simili a qlle che si trovavano anni fa sugli spalti di molti stadi e che x motivi di sicurezza sono state fatte togliere...
    assurdo secondo me che ci siano delle transenne simili nell'area sotto al palco...

user posted image

11. veddie

User deleted

E pensate che il griono dopo non hanno annullato gli atri ocnerti in rpogramma...cioè, alcuni gruppi non hanno voluto suonare, altri sì...Capisco i problemi organizzativi ad annullare tutto, mandar via la gente...ma comunque lo trovo agghiacciante.

12. ed79

User deleted

CITAZIONE ((careca) @ 28/6/2005, 10:42)
    nick conosci per caso un sito dove ci siano le foto della band durante la tragedia?

credo basti qsta foto...
    la croce fatta con le lattine di birra...una maglia con lo stickman...fiori...candele...biglietti...

user posted image

e ad esprimere quello che hanno vissuto i pearl jam il loro comunicato rilasciato dopo la tragedia...

June 30, 2000

Statement from Pearl Jam in Response to Roskilde Festival Tragedy

Copenhagen, Denmark-This is so painful...I think we are all waiting for someone to wake us and say it was just a horrible nightmare….

And there are absolutely no words to express our anguish in regard to the parents and loved ones of these precious lives that were lost.

We have not yet been told what actually occurred, but it seemed to be random and sickeningly quick…it doesn't make sense.

When you agree to play at a festival of this size and reputation it is impossible to imagine such a heart-wrenching scenario.

Our lives will never be the same, but we know that is nothing compared to the grief of the families and friends of those involved.

It is so tragic ... there are no words.

Devastated,

--Pearl Jam

due i punti chiave secondo me...

Our lives will never be the same

e

Devastated

non penso servano foto...in qste due frasi c'è tutta la drammaticità dell'evento...

13. (careca)

User deleted

si.
    io voglio vedere le foto di loro sul palco quando si sono fermati.
    le vevo viste ma non riesco a trovarle.

Il miglior supergossard degli ultimi 150 anni

Group

Status
    risordo che ne esisteva una di eddie che piangeva ma nn la trovo

su internet si trovano queste:
    http://www.pearl-jam.com/pictures/submit/roskilde.jpg

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/810000/image...crowdafp300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/810000/image...ing_fans300.jpg

nel bootleg invece si sente solo eddie che chiede di indietreggiare

15. kcuf me

User deleted

CITAZIONE (supergossard @ 28/6/2005, 16:13)
    risordo che ne esisteva una di eddie che piangeva ma nn la trovo

questa è fortissima come immagine

30 replies since 27/6/2005, 08:55   6970 views