Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story

Scot Barbour parla del film-documentario

« Older   Newer »

1. ed79

User deleted

segnalato sul forum di RM questo articolo-intervista con Scot Barbour, autore del film-documentario "Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/22767...funkshun09.html

A moment with ... Scot Barbour, independent filmmaker

Before Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder became internationally known Seattle rock singers, Andy Wood of Mother Love Bone (and earlier, Malfunkshun) was poised to become one of the first stars of the grunge era. His death at 24 in 1990 from a drug overdose came just weeks before his band's new album was to be released by PolyGram Records. Afterward, band members Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament and manager Kelly Curtis formed Pearl Jam.

user posted image
    Scot Barbour

Independent filmmaker Scot Barbour revisits this tragic chapter in Seattle rock with his documentary, "Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story." What Barbour originally conceived as a one-year, $5,000 film project took 10 years and cost more than six figures. After an unfinished version screened at Sundance, the completed movie made its debut last weekend at the Seattle International Film Festival. A second screening is tonight at 7 at the JBL Theater at the Experience Music Project, followed by a "LoveRock CelebrayShun" (a benefit for the Vera Project) at 9:15 at the Mirabeau Room with Andy's brothers, Kevin and Brian Wood, joining other musicians. Tickets, nearly sold out, are $12.50 at the door.

We talked to Barbour this week about the making of "Malfunkshun."

On the film's Seattle debut: I was really nervous, of course. Because I knew a lot of the people who were involved in the film besides myself, like his mom (Toni Wood), would be there. And no one had seen it in its completed form. And none of them had seen each other in years. So it was kind of heavy for me to know that I was bringing all these people back together again after all this time.

On the Mother Love Bone legacy: While I was working on the film, people often would say, "Oh, wow, Mother Love Bone!" And they'd have some Mother Love Bone story to tell. I mean, Pink Floyd's a great band, but you don't find that everyone has a Pink Floyd story to share (laughs). ... Andy's charisma is still part of the band. It's Andy that came up with that name, and that name just exemplifies his whole idealized vision of it all. His presence just never left. It's just imbedded in that band forever.

On discovering Andy's music in the early '90s: I got the Mother Love Bone album as a member of one of those CD clubs and I was just floored. It was beautiful. I was stunned. It had this grand, stadium-rock feel to it. It wasn't like anything I had ever heard.

On a sense of kinship between Barbour and his subject: I felt like we were two dreamers whose dreams happened to collide. Both of us were unrealistic about what you need to do in order to succeed. Each of us just moved forward like all systems were go and then reality followed behind. I felt that Andy had sold everything over to doing his art. There was no looking back. And I had kind of done the same thing in making the film.

user posted image
    Andy Wood of Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone died in 1990.

On raising money for film: I maxed out student loans and credit cards and borrowed money from family members. They thought I was on drugs or something. They'd go, "What is he doing with all this money? It's just gone and he has nothing to show for it. He's holed up in his house all the time. He's talking about some movie, but it's been seven years. Maybe we should get him some help."

On his growth as a filmmaker: I'd been working on this film for 10 years and it became a big part of my life. It helped me grow as an artist and put my footprint on the map as a filmmaker. It means a great deal to me.

On the film's future: It'll play in art-house theaters and whatnot. So we're hoping to run at festivals the rest of the year in Europe and the United States and after that, we'll try to get a distributor to pick up a limited theatrical release, maybe 10 theaters nationwide. And then Europe and Australia. Then maybe we'll release a DVD.

-- Gene Stout

2. norain

User deleted

ma qualcuno ha mai visto questo film-documentario? Come se l'è procurato?

3. ed79

User deleted

credo ancora nessuno...

4. norain

User deleted

ripongo la domanda... nessuno l'ha mai visto?

5. ed79

User deleted

io ho provato a cercare un po', ma non ho trovato traccia...
    non so se su emule si riesca a trovare qualcosa...

6. norain

User deleted

CITAZIONE (ed79 @ 6/3/2007, 19:12)
    io ho provato a cercare un po', ma non ho trovato traccia...
    non so se su emule si riesca a trovare qualcosa...

neanche sul mulo..porca troia! :angry:

7. KIM2

User deleted

il film è apena uscito nelle sale degli states anzi in alcune sale ed è in vendita tramite il sito ufficiale ....so che l'amministratore del forum alternativegrunge ne ha fatto richiesta non so se gli è arrivato .......provate a contattare lui ....io lo faro
    ciao a tutti
    scusate il mio italiano se ci sono impefezioni
    andryas

8. norain

User deleted

CITAZIONE (KIM2 @ 13/3/2007, 19:25)
    il film è apena uscito nelle sale degli states anzi in alcune sale ed è in vendita tramite il sito ufficiale ....so che l'amministratore del forum alternativegrunge ne ha fatto richiesta non so se gli è arrivato .......provate a contattare lui ....io lo faro
    ciao a tutti
    scusate il mio italiano se ci sono impefezioni
    andryas

thank u for the info!!!!!!!!! ;)

ed attiva tt i canali! pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss ^_^

Edited by norain - 13/3/2007, 22:49

NothingMan

Group

Status
    mi chiamo aldo :B): e sono uno degli amministratori del forum alternativegrunge ...mi ha chiamato andryas (kim2) per aiutarlo nel presente topic ...andryas è un amico (ha preso a cuore il nostro progetto del tributo band) ma a delle sue difficoltà nell'interargire con la ns lingua essendo polacco ....ha capito male io volevo acquistare un dvd dal titolo 333 ( http://www.wammybox.com/pag/dvd.htm )che poi non ho piu acquistato perche la vendita è solo con carta di credito (sono contrario a fare acquisti con la c.c)avevo chiesto un'altro tipo di pagamento tipo western union ma non è possibile ....per quanto riguarda il film è uscito in forma ristretta in poche sale tipo festival ecc...( http://www.seattlefilm.org/festival/film/d...x?id=6539&fid=5 )
    nel sito ufficiale ci sono le news e il guestbook dove stanno prendendo in esame le varie richieste prossimamente verrà messo in vendita on line sempre nel sito ufficilale (vedere news) ( http://www.malfunkshun.com/main/home.htm )
    io penso che entro un paio di mesi sarà messo in vendita ecco perche ancora non si trova sul mulo spero di esserti stato di aiuto ....
    altri link utili http://www.madreperla-pearljam.com/index.htm
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393449/
    ciao

10. norain

User deleted

veramente grazie pastare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NothingMan

Group

Status
    di niente alla prossima ...

12. RonApamndarma

User deleted

Hey everybody! I am new in this community. Just wanted to greet all of you :)

11 replies since 10/6/2005, 10:14   4468 views